Deconstruct the experience. What are the three acts of this story? What were the teacher moves? How is it different than the same kind of problem in a textbook?
“The basic modeling cycle is summarized in the diagram. It involves:
(1) identifying variables in the situation and selecting those that represent essential features,
(2) formulating a model by creating and selecting geometric, graphical, tabular, algebraic, or statistical representations that describe relationships between the variables,
(3) analyzing and performing operations on these relationships to draw conclusions,
(4) interpreting the results of the mathematics in terms of the original situation,
(5) validating the conclusions by comparing them with the situation, and then either improving the model or, if it is acceptable,
(6) reporting on the conclusions and the reasoning behind them.”